Import qTox profile

smaragdus

Import qTox profile

Postby smaragdus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:55 am

Hi there,

I would like to know whether it is possible to import a qTox profile to Isotoxin. I am asking because here (https://wiki.tox.chat/users/clients) it is said that Isotoxin has Semi Profile import/export, but i couldn't find a way to import my qTox profile with all my contacts.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Import qTox profile

Postby admin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi

You have to open Settings dialog (cogwheel button near minimize button)
Networks -> Choose network (select isotoxin tox wrapper) -> Add network connection.
Now you seed new connection dialog: Import configuration profile -> select qTox profile (tox_save)

So, new connection will be created with ToxID from imported profile. Old tox connection (that was created on first Isotoxin start) can be deleted, or you can use it simultaneously with new one (Isotoxin allows you to create and use any number of tox connections simultaneously)

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:26 am

Hello, thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I managed to import my profile from a '.TOX' file created by qTox.

Also, I downloaded the latest version of Isotoxin- 0.2.365, and managed even to test it with a qTox user. But I encountered 2 problems:
- File Transfer- I managed to send the other user a file, but he wasn't able to send me a file- I never got notification for file transfer.
- I see some strange characters after the other user name- please see the screen-shot I uploaded- http://postimg.org/image/xyji2k5e1/

I have a question too- do you plan to add support for video chat in Isotoxin? By the way I like Isotoxin interface very much.

Best regards!

Edit
My friend was using a very old qTox version. When he managed to import his qTox profile to Isotoxin everything worked fine- no garbled characters and the file transfers were successful.

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:41 am

Hello,

It's me again. I have a few suggestions about new features:
- Export chat history to txt/rtf/html files- right-click on a user's name- export chat history to file (txt, rtf, html)
- Search inside messages- now 'Search' can search only for contacts but not for text inside messages
- Profile import on first run
- Colour themes/Custom backgrunds
- Video calling

I can say that Isotoxin is my favourite among the other Tox clients I have already tested (qTox and Toxy), thank you for your good work.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanx for your feedback :)

- Export chat history to txt/rtf/html files- right-click on a user's name- export chat history to file (txt, rtf, html)

Yep, I'll implement it soon

- Search inside messages- now 'Search' can search only for contacts but not for text inside messages

I'm not sure that the search for all messages will be useful here. I'll think about how to make it more convenient.

- Profile import on first run

Hm... Isotoxin is not only Tox (other protocols, like ICQ, WhatsUp and so on i planned to implement in future) and It is not clear how to do it correct, taking this into account. I'll think about it. Import on first run is good feature.

- Colour themes/Custom backgrunds

yep, I planned this feature.

- Video calling

yep. But, as I know, new version of toxav is under development and I waiting it. Anyway video calling is planned.

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Hello and thanks for your response.

When I suggested 'Search inside messages' I thought of how this was implemented in Telegram messenger (https://telegram.org/), please see the screen-shot (http://postimg.org/image/r2uo5pljd/). If you have a Telegram account you may test the way 'Search' works in Telegram and if you'd like it you may add such a feature to your to do list. I think searching inside messages may be very useful in many cases.

I would suggest one more feature:
- an option to 'Load all messages on program's start' or a button to load all messages beside 'Load 10 message(s)' button. Now if the users needs all messages to be loaded they need to click 'Load 10 message(s)' time and again. I think that 'Load 10 more messages' sounds better than 'Load 10 message(s).

Another possible new feature:
- Status changes Isotoxin tray icon's colour- Online- Green (as it is now), Away makes the icon Yellow and Busy makes it Red.

It is not a bad idea to add support for more messaging protocols in the future (especially if Jabber is among them) but you may keep a separate, slim version of Isotoxin which supports only Tox. I suppose that for many users the most valuable feature of Isotoxin is its support for Tox protocol since there are several good and mature multi-protocol messengers like Miranda IM, Miranda NG and Pidgin. One more reason to keep a separate Tox-only version of Isotoxin- when support for more protocols is added bugs may appear while now Tox-only Isotoxin seems to be very stable.

I like that Isotoxin can be used as a truly portable program and this is the main reason for me to switch from qTox to Isotoxin. Once qTox could be run in portable mode but earlier this year its portability was broken. It seems the bug has been fixed now but I switched to Isotoxin because for me it is very important to be sure that all the data and settings are saved inside program's folder so that I can carry Isotoxin on a flash drive and run it on guest machines without leaving any traces behind me. Anyway, I like Isotoxin GUI better than qTox and I hope that in the foreseeable future it will have support for video messaging.

By the way, I wrote a basic review about Isotoxin at The Portable Freeware Forum:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22264

Best regards.

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 am

Hello there,

I tested the latest version of Isotoxin- 0.2.368 and I am very pleased with this release. 'Export history to file...' works fine and the created HTML files look good. Tray icon changing colour according to status works fine too. 'load whole history' is also very useful for me. So, thank you very much for implementing some of my suggestions. However I encountered a small problem- several messages were sent/received 2 or 3 times, perhaps the problem was the other person's connection, I don't know. If needed I can provide a screen-shot illustrating the problem.

By the way I have several more suggestions (the first two were suggested by my friend with whom I was testing Isotoxin):

- New chat settings- Enter - send message, Shift+Enter - new line (for me CTRL+Enter is fine but some users are used to Shift+Enter)
- When Isotoxin is maximized from tray and there is a new message (or new messages) the focus should be brought to the last received message
- New statuses:
- Chatty, or Free for Chat (perhaps Pink colour)
- Extended Away (after an hour of inactivity) (perhaps Purple colour)
- Right click on a contact- Copy contact ID
- Forward selected message to other contacts- right-click on a message- 'Forward message to...'
- Night mode- inverted colour scheme or simply darker background with lighter font

I really think that Isotoxin is the fastest evolving Tox client, thank you for your excellent work.

Regards

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello

However I encountered a small problem- several messages were sent/received 2 or 3 times, perhaps the problem was the other person's connection, I don't know. If needed I can provide a screen-shot illustrating the problem.

It's known issue. I'll fix it later.
- New chat settings- Enter - send message, Shift+Enter - new line (for me CTRL+Enter is fine but some users are used to Shift+Enter)
- When Isotoxin is maximized from tray and there is a new message (or new messages) the focus should be brought to the last received message

Yep. I'll implement these features next release
- New statuses:

Tox protocol support only Away and Busy. I can implement new statuses only for Isotoxin-to-Isotoxin connections. qTox and other clients will ignore them
- Right click on a contact- Copy contact ID
- Forward selected message to other contacts- right-click on a message- 'Forward message to...'
- Night mode- inverted colour scheme or simply darker background with lighter font

Ok, Isotoxin todo list was updated with these suggestions :)
I really think that Isotoxin is the fastest evolving Tox client, thank you for your excellent work.

I just really hate Skype and strongly motivated to create something that can really replace it :)

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:23 am

Skype is abominable and horrible. Years ago it was decent but Microsoft totally ruined it. For years I tolerated it because of my friends but some months ago I decided that it will no longer reside on my system. Besides Tox I also use Jabber and Telegram because I have managed to convince only a single friend of mine to use Tox. I hope that with time Tox will grow in popularity but unfortunately people are conservative and do not care for privacy.

I have used qTox and Toxy in the past but I am glad I discovered Isotoxin- for me it is the best-looking Tox client.

I can't help with the coding, only with tests.

Best regards

smaragdus

Postby smaragdus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I will suggest a simple new feature:
- New menu in cog-wheel- Exit below About, using certain settings ("Close" button minimizes to notification area) Isotoxin cannot be exited from main window.

Return to “Feature requests”